Sunday 8 June 2014

To my Future Daughter or my Current Self.



I am a woman,
That means I was taught shame before the alphabet.
I was told to hush more than I was allowed to speak up,
And to cover myself up and hide everytime I get a chance to rise and shine.
I remember my parents trying so hard to keep the little girl inside of me from being a woman who has her own feelings, thoughts and wants.
The first time I bled, I remember my mother telling me how I should act from now on like god dictated his ten commandments,
Girls like you should not laugh loud,
Girls like you should not speak up,
Girls like you should not look boys straight in the eye,
Girls like you should wait for her prince charming to come along and make a wife and a mom out of her.
But she forgot to tell me that girls like me have rights,
Girls like me are human beings,
Girls like me can change the world,
Girls like me are not baby makers, They create life in between their thighs,
Girls like me should not wait for some guy to come a long and make her a princess, I am born royal, I am a queen, I am life itself.

If I ever had a daughter I will teach her how to say No before yes,
How to feel beautiful without waiting for validation from some horny guy who doesn’t see beyond her skin,
How to want and how to walk away when things are not good enough for her,
How to feel whole and to not look for her missing pieces in someone else,
I will tell her what my mother didn’t tell me,
I will tell her that some boys will take pieces of her and run,
And leave her skin tainted with their lustful finger prints,
That some boys will look directly at her and only see a pair of boobs instead of seeing her giving heart,
And when they reach out to touch her, they won’t be reaching for her inner beauty,
But afterall, I will assure her that it is okay,
O
K
A
Y
it’s okay to fall in love with the wrong guys, people only learn by making mistakes,
it’s okay to lose some pieces to them, because the pieces she will get back will be better and stronger,
it’s okay to get her heart broken, and to love and lose, the heart is a muscle that needs training so it gets ready to love the right person with all the strength in her,
I will teach her how not to settle down for mediocre love, tasteless kisses and boring sex but always search for passion.
it’s okay to leave when you don’t find what you want.
Future daughter,
Here is a gentle reminder you can read over and over again whenever you are crying your heart over some guy,
It’s okay to cry.
It’s okay to lose.
It’s okay to get your heart broken.
Forgive him and forgive yourself and let go.
Never lose your self respect or hang around people who make you think less of yourself.
Fall in love with your flaws. Love your thick thighs, your skinny hands, your stretch marks and your small boobs.
You are not supposed to match any masturbating little boy fantasy,
You are more than just a body.
You are more than just a wife.
You are more than just a mom.
You are not someone’s daughter, or someone’s wife.
You are you.
Don’t let them define you by anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment